Taking a break.

I’m taking a break from notetaking, while the ccNSO, GNSO, and ASO reports go through; there’s now open microphone time for comments regarding these reports.

I’m taking a break from notetaking, while the ccNSO, GNSO, and ASO reports go through; there’s now open microphone time for comments regarding these reports.

Public Forum: WIPO2 Working Group Report.

Jonathan Cohen reports for the wipo2 working group. Small meeting in Carthage as only few members are here. Set up tight telephone conference schedule. Document sharing phase. Have produced book with the materials on this. Meetings every three wee…

Jonathan Cohen reports for the wipo2 working group. Small meeting in Carthage as only few members are here. Set up tight telephone conference schedule. Document sharing phase. Have produced book with the materials on this.Meetings every three weeks, first one on November 25th. Possibly meeting before Rome. Issue areas: Exclusionary lists, amending UDRP, independent UDRP, sunset provisions, treaty. Look at each of these under number of headings.Vint Cerf: Large issue universe.

Public Forum: ALAC report.

Vittorio is giving the ALAC’s report. Key points: We start getting applications; we have sent Roberto Gaetano to the board. Organizing in regions starts moving. Recent statements and activities: Wildcard. New gTLDs: no harm principle. WHOIS: Raise…

Vittorio is giving the ALAC’s report. Key points: We start getting applications; we have sent Roberto Gaetano to the board. Organizing in regions starts moving. Recent statements and activities: Wildcard. New gTLDs: no harm principle. WHOIS: Raised data elements collected and displayed as issue with GNSO.Activities in Carthage: Sitefinder workshop on Monday, WSIS workshop.Slides here.

Public Forum: SECSAC report.

Steve Crocker at the microphone. Quiet group without much to do until recently. SECSAC membership. Technical people, not political people. Committee activity in last month dominated by wildcard. Sitefinder generated complaints and problem reports….

Steve Crocker at the microphone.Quiet group without much to do until recently. SECSAC membership. Technical people, not political people. Committee activity in last month dominated by wildcard. Sitefinder generated complaints and problem reports. Preliminary advisory. Information gathering. Still gathering input on substantive technical input, thoughtful commentary and analysis: secsac-comment@icann.org.October 7 and October 15 meetings in Washington DC. Information posted on web site. SECSAC is writing report; part of larger process. SECSAC is strong on technical aspect. Also policy issues and economic impacts. Appreciate being an advisory committee. Not a decision-making body.Back to wildcard: What happened? Wildcard. Some things broke. Some took defensive action. BIND patches, ISPs blocking sitefinder. Areas of concern: no notice. Is it the thing right? Competition and contracts.Just don’t do wildcards? But: Existing registries; ccTLDs, .museum, but world has not come apart. Why is it a problem now if it wasn’t a problem then? Issue of size?Initial Advisory. Three recommendations. To Verisign: Please roll back, and provide time for everyone to think hard about this. To tech community: Ambiguous specifications / best practices? To ICANN: Please clarify procedures. More to say when finished with writing.October 7 and October 15 meetings. Transcripts are available.Tentative Issues: Abruptness, rightness, systemic stability, confidence, technical clarity, process clarity, displaced costs, innovation at core v. edge, future architecture, role of standards (do RFCs say everything?), existing wildcards, scope/size.Will finish work over month or so. Will release report.Cerf: Wildcards in general? Crocker: Yes, look at it in general. One step further: Wildcard is internal device for how you implement a broad set of reswponses or response to broad set of queries. Look at wire protocol — doesn’t matter what’s in zone. Other kinds of synthesis. General questions: What are expectations in this area? What is impact of change? Align specs with practice? Align practice with specs? Live with a certain degree of discrepancy?

Public Forum: Root Server Operators

Suzanne Woolf. Anycasting root servers. AAAA records. Input on renumbering ofo B.root-servers.net. No objections raised. Renumbering in the next few months. GAC named liaison to RSSAC. See http://www.root-servers.org for public information about committe…

Suzanne Woolf. Anycasting root servers. AAAA records. Input on renumbering ofo B.root-servers.net. No objections raised. Renumbering in the next few months. GAC named liaison to RSSAC.See www.root-servers.org for public information about committee’s work.Cerf asks about discussions re improving security of root system information by using DNSSEC. Answer: Active discussion. Not concern directly for committee, not yet ready for deployment. Waiting on IETF standardization. IETF is getting close, making progress, but not ready yet.Cerf: AAAA records significant introduction. Test environment for such things? RSSAC does not operate test environment, but some participants do. RIRs and several root name server operators do participate in experimental activities of that kind. Have input.

Public Forum: GAC communiqu??.

Sharil Tamizi is delivering the GAC’s communique. Standard preamble. ccTLD redelegation, IANA function. Pending redelegations for some GAC members. Priority. Review ccNSO progress. Encourage continued work. Move forward on GAC principles. WIPO2: W…

Sharil Tamizi is delivering the GAC’s communique.Standard preamble. ccTLD redelegation, IANA function. Pending redelegations for some GAC members. Priority. Review ccNSO progress. Encourage continued work. Move forward on GAC principles. WIPO2: Welcome creation ofo joint working group. Mandate of WG limited to analyzing the practical and technical aspects of implementing wipo2 recs. GAC regrets that the working group has not presented an outliljne and timetable for its work on the GAC meeting at carthage, welcomes request from president of ICANN that wg report to board at Rome meeting.GAC whois and gTLD working groups met GNSO Council, discussed gnso PDP. WHOIS use by govt authorities, GAC will share with GNSO.IPv6. New registry services: GAC follows debate on use of DNS wildcards. Received briefing from ICANN president and CEO, and secsac chair. GAC recognizes that many interests have raised concerns about competition, technicasl and user issues. GAC recognizes ongoing review. GNSO PDP on review of registry services. GAC will continue monitoring.Root servers; GAC recognizes efforts to increase security and stability of root server system.Outreach: GAC workshop dedicated to arab and african regions with participation from 17 countries.Future of GAC organization and financing. Agreed a procedure for updating operating principles, and election of vice chairs later this year. Working group to consider structure, organization, financing of GAC.Thanks to local organizers. Next GAC meeting in Rome.

Public Forum: President’s Report.

Twomey gives his report to the public forum. Vision becoming clearer. Commitment to global outreach. Have gTLD registrars in 26 countries. Agreements with 15 ccTLD managers. ccNSO. Increased cooperation with relevant intergovernmental organization…

Twomey gives his report to the public forum.Vision becoming clearer. Commitment to global outreach. Have gTLD registrars in 26 countries. Agreements with 15 ccTLD managers. ccNSO. Increased cooperation with relevant intergovernmental organizations. IDN introduction as important part of outreach. Local focus and commitment and key stewardship for integrity, security, stability of single Internet. Multi-lingual communications. ALAC as part of international outreach.Commitment to innovation in the Domain Name System. Clear understanding of commitment to integrity, stability, security of single Internet. Keeping and building community. Work closely with other bodies — ISOC, IETF, others.Move from vision to how to achieve it. MoU extension. Strategic plan. Some headings: How build sustainable business operation. Management controls. Building capable staff. VP Biz ops: Kurt Pritz. VP SOs and ACs: Paul Verhoef (Brussels). GC: John Jeffreys. Focus around business unit model, key accountabilities. Measurement, make performance more accountable. Performance of IANA function. Share more statistics. Automation of operative processes. Stable, adequate, fair funding. Open small targeted offices in regions. Verhoef in Brussels office. “Lean and mean” offices, target on cooperation with regional communities and organizations.Potential risks. Community consensus on key issues. WHOIS. WIPO2 implementation issues. Bring community together, work together to find pragmatic solutions going forward. Don’t work in silos, interact. Heavily involved in WSIS. Working with many member states, attending prepcomm meetings. Want to leave report at this level today.Detailed reporting on some function areas available. Will be posted later during the day.